Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Piano Practice

So I've been working through 'The Jazz Piano Book' by Mark Levine, and it has been a real kick in the hind quarters. Some of the best musicians I know are Jazz pianists, so I figured it would be good to woodshed some Jazz. The great thing about being in the bay area (away from the hustle and bustle of daily life) is that I can just practice and play music without any kind of ulterior motive. It reminds me why I love playing music. To sit down and get lost in a sea of notes, without thinking about monetization or marketability, is something that I need to do more. That's when the best ideas come. These ideas that seemingly come out of 'the ether' are a natural, musical representation of who you really are, not who you think you should be.

No comments: