Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tree Derived Music

I'm a big fan of trees. I like to stare at them. I love the sound a cool, peaceful wind makes as it wisps through the needles and multiplies a bajillion times to create a distant whisper. In musical terms, I would call this the 'pad' that provides a sonic canvas for the rest of the instruments. I could listen to that pine needle pad all day and night and marvel at it's infinite subtle complexity. (Tangent... over)

A few years back, I was at Hume Lake on a similar mission (to finish writing music) and came up with a plan to derive a melody from the contour of the treetops against the evening sky. The trees in the picture are actually the very same ones that got me thinking about this. I happened to be outside with my camera at the right time tonight to get a nice shot.

When I look at this picture, I see a series of ascending sixteenth notes winding their way up in pitch... a little higher each time until the last group, which fall back down.

It is interesting to think that perhaps somewhere, there is a treeline that contains a melody from a song I've written. If I ever find such a treeline, I'll take that as a not so subtle hint that I was meant to build a phat treehouse in that grove and subsequently hang out there for at least a fortnight, if not less. I feel bad for the poor trees in the David Hasselhoff 'La Isla Bonita' grove. If I ever find that one, I'll personally transplant all the trees to a different grove, thus saving them from paying many hundreds of years of indelible homage to a piece of embarrassingly awkward, and (let's be honest) just plain bad music.

T.J.

No comments: